SOME IDEAS TO HELP INCREASE YOUR
NONPROFIT INCOME DURING THE
CURRENT DIFFICULT FUNDRAISING ENVIRONMENT
August 22, 2023
Because costs are up and small dollar donations ($200 and under) are down, most of us can use some help.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Remember the 80-20 rule—20% of your donors will produce 80% of your income. Treat the 20% very different than the 80%. Also, consider not mailing the 80% as often as you normally do. You will give up a relatively small amount of money but save a lot on mailing costs.
2. List co-ops. If you’re in a list co-op, take advantage of the opportunity to have your house file enhanced to identify your best donors. If you’re not in a list co-op, consider joining one.
3. List co-ops. Use a list co-op to identify your inactive donors that offer the best chance to be reactivated.
4. Append phone numbers. About 3 times a year, send your donor file to have phone numbers added to your donor file. You should have phone numbers for about 80% of your active donors.
Then, 5-6-7 times a year, call the donors with a 30-40 second recorded phone message shortly before they receive your next house file mailing.
If you have a celebrity associated with your organization, ask them to record the message. If not, do you have someone with an important title, i.e. general, admiral, governor, congressman, reverend, doctor, etc.?
5. Append email addresses. About 3 times a year, send your house file to have email addresses added to your donor file, and “warm up” those email addresses with a welcome series so your emails aren’t treated like SPAM.
Then email them shortly before the house file is to arrive and urge them to be on the lookout for your important letter or you could email them a copy of your fundraising letter.
6. Digital. Run digital ads on Facebook, Twitter, Gab, Instagram, etc. to reach your house file donors around the time your house file mailing will be received.
7. Website. Make sure that the subject of your current fundraising mail is properly covered on your website. If you have a new, exciting, urgent program and people go to your website and there’s no mention of the program, that’s a problem.
Next week, we’ll continue with more suggestions as to how to increase your income and reduce the costs of your direct mail program.
This free post is brought to you by American Target Advertising™ (ATA) and American Mailing List Corporation™—“ConservativeListsRUs.” ATA was the world’s first conservative direct marketing agency and still is the largest with over 85 team members (increasing to 135 by 2024) that will mail over 300,000,000 postal letters in the 2023-2024 election cycle for 40+ clients who will receive over 7,000,000 donations from over 2,500,000 unique donors.
Much of the information in GoRightGoBig.com is from Richard A. Viguerie’s new book, GO BIG – The Marketing “Secrets” of Richard A. Viguerie. Copies for yourself or as a gift can be ordered at GoBigConservatives.com or GoRightGoBig.com, or at your favorite online bookstore.
If you wish to buy copies to be given free to high school or college students to encourage them to seek a career in conservative politics/marketing, go to GoBigConservatives.com.
To subscribe FREE to GO RIGHT - GO BIG blog, click here.